Monday, November 22, 2010

Enchiladas

~Espinaca Edition~
I blanched some spinach breifly and lined the edges with it... I can eat for 3-4 days on this in a household of 2~


So one of the things I like to do when I'm feeling better is cook. Haha these enchiladas are a real favorite for me and oh-so-healthy (well, if you're not sensitive) I made them a little too spicy this time around and the lining of my stomach wasn't very happy with me today. Regardless it was quite a treat after living on my husband's cooking (bless his heart.)

Enchiladas (makes 4-5 large enchiladas)
1 onion, or 3/4 a large onion (cut roughly)
1-2 bell peppers
around 4 button cap mushrooms
black beans
sweet corn
black olives
2-3 small roma tomatoes, 2 round tomatoes (depending on size)
Enchilada sauce (whatever you prefer, I buy the all-natural organic local sauce... so it's probably not available everywhere but I would advise watching for hydrolyzed soy protein and MSG listed as ingredients and other preservatives)
Large-standard size tortillas of your preference

(1) About a pound and a half of protein (beef, chicken, buffalo, tofu, or even spinach and cheese filling, protein is cooked with taco seasoning (again, watch for preservatives and flavor enhancers if it's a concern) and onions and some of the mushroom, and reserved.

(2) put the chopped bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, mushroom, olive, beans, and corn in the bottom of the pan and spoon in some of the enchilada sauce

(3) take the reserved meat and put into tortilla, fold into long enchilada, cover with sauce (like painting) and put cheese on top if desired

(4) Bake for 30 minutes (covered) and garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro, bake for another ten (uncovered)

But really this dish is as personal as one wants to make it. Easily substituted and removed if there are any food distastes or sensitivities.



No comments:

Post a Comment